The Rambler

My photo
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. When I'm not working, I can be found reading, perfecting the art of snark, and trying to write fiction.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Food Finds (Or Why I Won't Be A Sexy Fairy At Dragon*Con This Year)

I love food, probably more than I should, so I'm always delighted to find new treats. Fortunately for me (but unfortunately for my hips and butt), I also live near a Cost Plus World Market. They've managed to keep me supplied with some yummy and unique items.

First up is kettle corn from the company Popcorn, Indiana. A description of this can be found at http://www.popcornindiana.com/kettle-corn.asp. For those of you too engrossed in this post to visit the site, the description says:

"Our Original Kettle Corn is the quintessential version of the all-American classic our finest, fresh-popped corn sprinkled with salt and kissed with a touch of pure cane sugar. It's an irresistible blend of sweet and salty. It's the kind of snack you can start eating…and eating…and before you know it, you're hooked!"

Now, yes, most of the popcorn is just "kissed with a touch of pure cane sugar." Other pieces, however, are little more than hardened sugar balls with a hint of popcorn flavor. The first time I tasted one of these pieces, my eyes rolled into the back of my head and I started moaning like one of the Herbal Essences chicks. It's unfortunate that I was working at the time.

Next we have Snap Pea Crisps. I was a little unsure about these at first, but I like peas and decided to give these a chance. They're lightly salted, a little bit crispy, a little bit soft, and an overall splendid alternative to potato chips. The packaging says they can be put in salads, and apparently they also come in a Caesar-flavored version. I prefer to eat mine as a side to my dinnertime sandwich. Read all about these awesome crisps at http://www.snacksalad.com/products.html.

Finally it's time for some old-school snackin' in the form of candy buttons from Necco. I used to dream about trying these as a kid, but for some reason my mom never bought them. I get to try lots of things now that I make my own money, and the low calorie count (50 per strip) sold me on these. I like the sweet, somewhat fruity flavor, but getting those bad boys off the paper strips can be a bit time-consuming. This isn't an eat and run kind of candy, that's for sure. I find it's best to isolate the row of buttons you want and then pinch the paper. This loosens the buttons enough so that you can pop them off with your hands. Of course, there's also the "rip 'em off with your teeth" option. Necco could make a lot of money by selling some pre-removed candy buttons. Learn more at http://www.necco.com.

That's all for now! I'm off to bed so that I'll have the energy to run off all those candy buttons tomorrow. :-)

No comments: