The Rambler

My photo
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. When I'm not working, I can be found reading, perfecting the art of snark, and trying to write fiction.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reading and Book-Buying Habits

1. I have a Borders Rewards card. It's one of only two reward programs I'm enrolled in. It would be the only one, but the loud clerk at DSW wouldn't shut up until I enrolled in the program there.

2. I started shopping at Borders because it's the closest bookstore to me. I think it's been about a year since I visited any other bookstore.

3. Most of the Borders employees know me by name. I'm starting to see where all my money goes.

4. I could spend hours in any bookstore, and I could do it multiple times a week.

5. There are certain books that I read every year: the Harry Potter series, the Guinevere trilogy by Persia Woolley, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and The Girls Who Went Away by Ann Fessler.

6. Summer of My German Soldier used to be on the list above, but I somehow made it through 2009 without reading this book.

7. I love to travel, but I can't read travel books from cover to cover. The only one I've been able to read all the way through is Get Lost!: The Cool Guide to Amsterdam by Aaron James Cole.

8. I enjoyed reading most of the classics in school, but I have a hard time reading them just for fun because of the language.

9. I wanted to like the Twilight saga. I really did. It just wasn't exciting or entertaining to me.

10. I love the bargain bin/shelf at Borders.

11. I'll read any book that deals with Arthurian legend.

12. I'll time the reading of certain books around events. For example, I read the Harry Potter series before the release of a new HP movie or before Dragon*Con. This year, I'm reading Erin Hart's Haunted Ground and Lake of Sorrows in February so I'll be ready for the release of False Mermaid on March 2nd. Yes, I'm that much of a nerd.

13. I've read most of the books I own at least 3 times.

14. I enjoy YA lit.

15. My goal this year is to read Lord of the Rings (even the part with the gigantic arachnid. ::shudders::) and Alice in Wonderland.

No comments: