The Rambler

My photo
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. When I'm not working, I can be found reading, perfecting the art of snark, and trying to write fiction.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The One Where Jennifer Tries to Cook with Pumpkin

I'm back online after a recent move and am slowly answering Facebook messages, LJ comments, etc. Expect more posts now that I'm settled in. :-)

This past weekend, my friend Jamie and I had what I, with visions of grandeur dancing in my head, called Pumpkin Fest 2008. Translation: we bought $4.00 pumpkins from Wal-Mart, dug out the seeds and innards, and carved designs from a pumpkin carving kit whilst hopping ourselves up on candy corn, Halloween Peeps, and cookies. It was a ton of fun!

We also tried to make pumpkin soup, which did not turn out so well. We got the flavor right but not the texture. See, we just used the stringy stuff from the pumpkin, and I think we were actually supposed to cut the pumpkin up and use everything but the stringy bits.

The weekend itself was wonderful, but I was kind of down about the failed pumpkin soup, so today I went to CostPlus World Market looking for some canned pumpkin. I didn't find any, but I did find pumpkin curry. Now, I love curry, and this weekend I learned that I like raw pumpkin, so I simply had to try this.

I raced home, eager to put my newest food discovery to the taste test. First of all, ladies and gents, let me say that this could not have been easier to make. The outer packaging says "rip, heat, and eat," and it really is that simple. The curry comes in a pouch. You can cut or rip the top of the pouch, then stand it up in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes. You can also just pour the curry into a bowl and heat it, which is what I did. There are also directions for heating it on the stove top or boiling it in the pouch. I guess some people have a lot of time on their hands.

The pumpkin curry itself was delicious! It's a mild curry, so those of you who do not like spicy food need not fear. It is also vegetarian and vegan, gluten-free, and all natural with no preservatives. Tonight I ate it like a soup, but next time I'll put it over brown rice or cous cous.

All in all, I'd highly recommend this curry. It is made by a company called Going Native. I'm not sure where else to find the curry, but Going Native has a website (www.goingnative.com) where you may be able to locate their products in your area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

World Market is probably one of my most favorite places in the whole entire world. :)

Asphodel said...

Mine too! :-)